From POW Medical Justice
Seth’s medical condition continues to worsen, and he has not been evaluated or treated for potentially life-threatening symptoms despite following formal medical care request procedures within the prison. Because the medical staff at the prison and Health Services of the Department of Correction continue to neglect his medical needs despite numerous calls from concerned medical providers and other citizens, we urge both Commissioner Annucci and Governor Cuomo to exercise oversight and see to it that Seth finally receives proper medical care.
*Talking points and sample letter below*
THINGS YOU CAN DO:
1) On Tuesday, 5/19 and Wednesday, 5/20 please call:
*Governor Andrew M. Cuomo at (518) 474-8390 x2
*Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci, NYS Department of Corrections at (518) 457-8134
2) On Thursday, 5/21 and Friday, 5/22, please fax (you can use a free online fax service like faxzero.com if needed):
*Governor Cuomo at Fax: (518) 486-4466
*Acting Commissioner Anthony J. Annucci at Fax: (518) 457-0076
***Suggested talking points***
State who you are calling about and include his prisoner #: Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, at Sullivan Correctional Facility;
Say that you are requesting oversight of the medical team at Sullivan and DOCC Health Services as well as:
1) an immediate work-up of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) an assessment of his weight loss to have potential malignancies ruled out;
3) modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes and prevent low blood sugars; and
4) a physician’s order for a diabetic diet.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what response you receive so that it can be given to Seth’s legal team.
A SAMPLE LETTER to fax, mail or submit online:
The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor of New York State
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
Fax: (518) 486-4466
Dear Governor Cuomo,
I am writing in regards to Robert Seth Hayes, #74-A-2280, DOB 10-15-48, who
is currently at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, NY.
Mr. Hayes suffers from poorly controlled diabetes mellitus with frequent
bouts of hypoglycemia, as well as weight loss of 40 pounds (22% of his
original body weight) in a short time. These health concerns have not been
addressed by medical staff at Sullivan Correctional Institute despite
numerous requests by the patient, family, concerned medical providers, and
the general public. He has not even been prescribed a diabetic diet.
In addition, Mr. Hayes’s medical situation has worsened dramatically recently.
He has had a cough with shortness of breath and is coughing up blood tinged mucus.
He needs an evaluation of his cough and shortness of breath urgently.
I am writing to register my grave concern about the health of Mr. Hayes and
to request that he receive the following immediate and appropriate medical care:
1) an urgent evaluation of his cough and shortness of breath;
2) a work-up of his weight loss to assess for potential malignancies;
3) a modification of his insulin regimen to better control his diabetes and prevent episodes of hypoglycemia; and
4) a diabetic diet.
I thank you for your prompt attention to these medical matters.