We recently recieved word that on December 1st, at least ten prisoners at the Foothills Prison in Morganton, NC went on indefinite hunger strike. This action was/is being taken in protest of the conditions in solitary confinement. They submitted the following demands to the administration.
“We feel these are modest demands and will not quit until they are met. They include but are not limited to:
1. We demand the removal of the mesh covering segregation windows, which restricts long-distance vision and causes sensory deprivation.
2. We demand to be free to recreate on excercise hour without full restraints. Exercising in full restraints is physically impossible and inhumane.
3. We demand to have our desk, metal seating bench, and book shelves put back in our rooms.
4. We demand adequate food and full portions on our food trays, which includes nutritional meals.
5. We need more psychologists for prisoners. The facility only has two psychologists for a 712-bed prison.
6. We demand for all prisoners on control status (I-Con, M-Con, and H-Con) that are not indigent to be able to purchase paper and envelopes from the canteen.
7. We demand for all segregation prisoners to be able to purchase any type of pharmaceutical item from the canteen as stated in policy, including for example vitamins, tylenol, muscle relaxer cream, foot fungus powders, etc.
8. We demand adequate and equal cleaning supplies on clean-up days as regular population, including brushes and toilet bowl cleaner.
9. We demand shower mats outside of showers to prevent slipping and injuries.
These are just the demands agreed upon by the comrades. We would greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer on short notice. We will all stand strong against enemy forces and be victorious in this small problem surrounding the entire prison-industrial complex.”
The prisoners on strike at Morganton ask outside comrades to call in to the prison in support of the strike. The contact information is below:
Superintendant Lance Corporning , Asst. Superintendant Larry Williams
5150 Western Ave.
Morganton, NC 28655
(828) 438 – 5585
We will do our best to keep people informed about updates with the strike and ways that outsiders can act in solidarity.
until every cage is empty,
some NC anarchists against prisons